- Enter the auditorium quietly. Once you have been seated, be alert to activity on the stage as the musicians take their place for the concert.
- Make certain that all cellphones are turned off prior to the start of any concert…the sounds they make and the glow from screens are disruptive to the performers. When the conductor enters, it is customary to applaud politely.
- Clapping is the appropriate way to show appreciation for the performance rather than whistling or cheering. Whistling, yelling, or screaming is not appropriate at any time before, during, or after a concert.
- Parents should keep small children seated with them. If children become restless or fussy, please move them to the front corridor.
- Never stand or move around while music is being performed. It distracts listeners around you, as well as the performers. If you must leave for any reason, wait until a piece is finished, and the audience is applauding. Also, return to your seat only between numbers.
- It is impolite to talk, or even whisper, while the music is being performed. Listeners and performers are also distracted by sounds from programs, candy wrappers, jewelry and other objects. Remain still, and be thoughtful of others by talking or making sounds only between numbers.
- It is impolite to wear hats or caps during a concert, and to eat or drink refreshments during a concert.
The ABC’s Of Concert Etiquette
A. -- Always remain quiet during a performance.
B. -- Be attentive and give the performers your attention.
C. -- Be Considerate of others.
D. -- Do not leave early, please.
E. -- Exit in an organized fashion.
F. -- Expect a Fantastic performance; the kids have worked very hard.
G. -- Give appropriate applause.
H. -- Have a great time, but be a considerate member of the audience.
I. -- Invite your relatives to come see an outstanding concert.
J. -- EnJoy the concert but always treat it as a formal event.
K. -- Keep your children that are not performing, with you during the concert.
L. -- Leave your cell phone turned off during the performance, please.
Thank you for your attendance and support of ALL of the St. Nicholas Catholic Students and Staff.