Lent is a special time in the Catholic Church. It is a time of reflection and preparation before we celebrate Easter on April 4, 2021. By observing 40 days of Lent, we replicate Jesus’ sacrifice and his time in the desert for 40 days. It is a time of spiritual growth as we prepare our hearts and minds for Good Friday and Easter. As we observe Lent at school, we invite your families to also observe Lent in your homes.
How do we observe Lent?
- We begin observing Lent on Wednesday, February 17th with Ash Wednesday. After Mass, we receive ashes in the symbol of a cross on our foreheads. The ashes signify our repentance and our mortality.
- Lent is a time when participants can carry out a three-fold mission with the key pillars being fasting, almsgiving, and prayer. We fast (and don’t eat meat on Fridays) as a way to deepen our awareness of Christ’s sacrifice on the cross. We also recognize those in need by giving to the poor and offering service to others. Finally, with more frequent prayer, we strengthen our relationship with God.
- We also say the Stations of the Cross during Lent. The Stations of the Cross consists of 14 pictures, each representing an event during Christ’s Passion (last days before His crucifixion). We say prayers at each Station asking for God’s guidance. As a school,( 1st- 6th grade) will say the Stations of the Cross on Mondays at 8:30 at the church. Parents are always welcome.
- We will continue to attend Mass every Wednesday at 8:40. Again, we invite parents to join us at Mass.
Lenten Activities for Families at Home
- Name a person who you feel could use a prayer today and say the Our Father
- Silently ask God to bless every person you meet today.
- Skip TV tonight and spend time together as a family playing a game
- Do a special favor for someone
- Each time you eat today, say a prayer for those who do not have enough to eat
- Do an act of kindness for a family member
- Give up eating sweets today
- Tell someone in your home how much you appreciate them
We look forward to Lent to prepare for the joyous celebration of Easter!!